Eight suspects have been detained, teams formed to nab accused; IWPC writes to Police Commissioner
An assistant sub-inspector and two constables were suspended on Tuesday in the CR Park phone snatching incident, in which a woman journalist was injured. The personnel were found not “up to the mark”, the police said.
The police said they have detained eight suspects in connection with the incident and are interrogating them.
Over 25 police teams have been formed to trace the accused, and CCTV footage have also been obtained.
The Indian Women’s Press Corps (IWPC), meanwhile, has written to Delhi Police Commissioner Amulya Patnaik demanding quick action against criminals who attacked journalist Joymala Bagchi.
In the letter, IWPC president Jyoti Malhotra said they were concerned over the horrific crime of snatching at CR Park. She said it was appalling that the journalist was attacked by two bike-borne youth in broad daylight.
Contempt of the law
“The criminals acted with utter contempt of the law as they dragged her out of the moving vehicle, snatched her phone and belongings and left her bleeding on a busy road,” Ms. Malhotra wrote.
The IWPC said it was disturbing to note that there had been no arrests in the case even after 48 hours.
The incident took place on Sunday evening when the woman was returning home in an autorickshaw when two motorbike-borne youth snatched her mobile phone.
The woman is recovering at AIIMS Trauma Centre, the officer said.